Dating at any age can be very challenging, especially for seniors. Online dating for seniors can be an excellent way to find like-minded people to share life with. If you’re skeptical, here’s a breakdown of the pros and cons of online dating for seniors to help you decide if it’s the right path for you.
Pros of Online Senior Dating
- Wider Selection: Classic dating methods only allow you to find people who went to certain locations. Using online dating sites is a great way to find people that may not visit your usual grocery stores, restaurants, or gym.
- Inexpensive: Most sites allow you to create a free account and browse potential matches without having to pay anything. However, if you want more features on the site, subscription options are available for additional services. Prices are competitive due to the number of choices available, and joining for longer can lower your monthly price drastically.
- Serious Interest: The worst thing about dating is running across someone that’s only interested in a fling. When you sign up for a dating site you have to complete a questionnaire, which deters people who’re looking for a less-than-serious relationship.
- Great First Dates: Since you can talk with the person online, you can get comfortable with them before you meet them. This means you’ll feel much more comfortable with whoever you decide to date and in turn have more meaningful connections.
- New People: Because you’ll meet people from different backgrounds with different hobbies, you’re more likely to try new things as well. Even if there isn’t a love connection, you may learn something new that you can use later in life — such as how to ice skate or how to cook if you took a cooking class together.
Cons of Online Senior Dating
- Young Audience: Many sites are dedicated toward a younger audience, and it can be difficult to find an online dating service that’s right for those who are ages 55 and older. Fortunately, there are websites dedicated to those who are 55 and older, but there may be fewer users.
- Untrustworthy Sites: Seniors are preyed upon by untrustworthy sites which lie about their pricing scales, say that you’ll pay monthly, and then charge an obscene amount to your credit card.
- Fewer Surprises: Online profiles are designed to show someone completely before you meet them so it's easier to determine whether you’re compatible or not. Unfortunately, this takes some of the surprise out of the date or relationship.
- More Women than Men: Online dating sites have more women than men, which can make it hard to find an appropriate match that isn’t already interested in someone else. Men are much more likely to find interested women than vice versa.
- Fake Profiles: While most websites monitor users to ensure that fake profiles don’t exist, some still slip through the cracks. These fake profiles are notorious scammers that ask for money and other things due to unfortunate circumstances — the best thing to do is never send anyone money over the internet.