Living rooms are the best part of any house. They’re where you spend time with friends, build memories with family members, and shamelessly eat gallons of ice cream while binge-watching Netflix’s new hit show. Since you’re spending so much time in them, you’ll want to make sure you’re putting some thought into how you decorate. It should reflect you. It’s got to be personal and unique. You want it to be comfy and worth spending time in. And you definitely don’t want to have to re-decorate your living room every few years (cause that’s just expensive and tedious). If you want your living room to find that balance of personal, comfy, and lasting, you’ll have to make sure that you’re not too tacky. (Unless tacky is your thing. If so, more power to you.)
Being tacky can be fun, but you’ve got to find that balance between fun and longevity. You’ve got to do just enough to feel like it really belongs to you. We’ve pulled together a list of some tacky things that too many people have done to their living rooms. It’s okay (sometimes) to have one or two, but just remember, they are tacky. Have some fun with them and decorate accordingly.
Did you know...
- Björk created a media sensation when she wore her iconic white swan dress to the 2001 Oscars. At the time, many derided it as hideous and a publicity stunt, but it has since gone down as one of the most memorable dresses of all time—even if it isn't exactly beloved. She says David Bowie was the inspiration behind the dress.
- While attending the Grammys in February 2000, Jennifer Lopez stepped out in a green Versace dress that instantly became a phenomenon. The barely-there ensemble had a dramatically low cut that came below JLo’s belly button. It became such a talking point that it was Google’s most popular search query up to that point, and it spurred the company to include images into search results. It became the motivation for Google Images.
- When Rihanna debuted her famous red locks in 2010 (around the same time she was featured on Eminem's "Love the Way You Lie"), she started a red-hair trend. Over the next twelve months, she changed her hairstyle 13 times—more than once a month! But that came at a pricey cost. Sources say the annual price tag came out to $1,168,000 on just her hair.
- Paris Hilton not only lives in a mansion, she also built a doghouse mansion for her Chihuahua. It's 300 square feet and includes air conditioning and heating. It comes decked out with designer furniture, a chandelier, a pink paint job, second-floor balcony, and enclosed "yard." It's not enough for you to live in luxury. Your dog must, as well.
- Jackie Kennedy is famous for redecorating and renovating the interior of the White House. Actually, on just her first day, she ordered $50,000 in changes for new rooms for the children and upgrades to the kitchen. She later hosted a tour of the White House for CBS News which was viewed by 56 million people and won her an Emmy Award.