There are some shows we never want to end. And others…not so much. Whether it’s because of ridiculous plot lines or tired characters, some shows just seriously know how to overstay their welcome. That’s not to say that they started bad—in fact, some of these on our list were amazing right out of the gate. But over time, it’s hard to keep up that momentum, and it can be real tricky for TV executives to know when to call it quits, especially since money is involved. And, unfortunately, these shows were definitely left out long after their expiration date! Here’s your look at some iconic television shows that should have been cancelled way sooner than they were!
The TV shows on this list are some of the most popular, critically acclaimed TV shows to date, but turns out too much of a good thing really can be bad. From shows everyone’s sick of, like Grey’s Anatomy, to shows with a good run but a horrible last season, like How I Met Your Mother, these are the 30 TV shows that really shouldn’t have lasted so long.
Did you know...
- Jackie Kennedy is famous for redecorating and renovating the interior of the White House. Actually, on just her first day, she ordered $50,000 in changes for new rooms for the children and upgrades to the kitchen. She later hosted a tour of the White House for CBS News which was viewed by 56 million people and won her an Emmy Award.
- In February 2020, Jeff Bezos bought the most expensive property in California: a $165 million mansion. It was designed for Jack Warner (the former president of Warner Bros. entertainment company). It took a decade to construct (spanning the 1930s and 40s). It comes complete with 9 acres of Beverly Hills land, a main house, a guest house, a tennis court, a golf course, and terraces.
- When Rihanna debuted her famous red locks in 2010 (around the same time she was featured on Eminem's "Love the Way You Lie"), she started a red-hair trend. Over the next twelve months, she changed her hairstyle 13 times—more than once a month! But that came at a pricey cost. Sources say the annual price tag came out to $1,168,000 on just her hair.
- Paris Hilton not only lives in a mansion, she also built a doghouse mansion for her Chihuahua. It's 300 square feet and includes air conditioning and heating. It comes decked out with designer furniture, a chandelier, a pink paint job, second-floor balcony, and enclosed "yard." It's not enough for you to live in luxury. Your dog must, as well.
- While attending the Grammys in February 2000, Jennifer Lopez stepped out in a green Versace dress that instantly became a phenomenon. The barely-there ensemble had a dramatically low cut that came below JLo’s belly button. It became such a talking point that it was Google’s most popular search query up to that point, and it spurred the company to include images into search results. It became the motivation for Google Images.