Whether you are gluten-intolerant or you want to start a gluten-free diet for other health reasons, it can sometimes be difficult to determine if a food or drink contains gluten. Foods are usually less challenging to recognize, but it can be easy to forget that some alcoholic beverages contain gluten as well, such as beer, some whiskey, and wheat-based vodka. Yet, there are many other drink options that are GF-friendly, including wine, rum, tequila, most whiskey, vodka, and cider. You can add these liquors to some GF mixers, and you’ll have some delicious cocktails that even those who are gluten tolerant will enjoy!
- 2 large strawberries, hulled and sliced
- 6 mint leaves
- 2 tsp. sugar
- 1-2 fluid oz. (1-2 shots) rum
- ¼ cup club soda
- Combine mint, sugar, and strawberries (leave out one for garnish) in a cocktail shaker (without the lid).
- Stir until most of the sugar dissolves.
- Pour in rum, close the lid, and shake well.
- Pour into a glass, then add club soda and ice.
- Garnish with mint leaves and a couple slices of strawberry, and serve.
Cosmopolitan with a Twist
- 1 cup vodka (Ciroc or Smirnoff makes GF vodka)
- 2 shots orange liqueur (DeKuyper, Luxardo, or Stock)
- ½ cup cranberry juice cocktail
- ½ cup pomegranate juice
- ¼ cup fresh lime juice
- 4 2-inch lemon or orange peels, curled
- Combine all ingredients in a bowl or glass and chill in the fridge for at least an hour.
- Right before serving, fill a cocktail shaker halfway full of ice and some of the cocktail mix.
- Shake well and pour into martini glasses.
- Garnish with the curled peels and serve.
Pineapple Rum Lemonade
- 1 ½ ounces pineapple-infused rum
- 1 tablespoon simple syrup*
- Juice of 1 lemon
- Club soda
- Pineapple or lemon slices
- Add rum, simple syrup, and lemon juice to a cocktail shaker with ice and shake well.
- Strain into a glass and top with club soda.
- Garnish with lemon or pineapple slice.
*To make simple syrup, boil 1 cup sugar and 1 cup water, stirring frequently, until the sugar dissolves. Let cool.